Regular cleaning is a must if you want you home to be sanitised and to look good. However, there are certain things we forget to clean as well as things we clean way too often. That is why the Keen Clean experts put together the ultimate to-do list for every item and are in your home.
Wanting to keep your home clean doesn’t mean you have the time to polish your silverware every week. (If you have a busy schedule, here are some clean-ups you can do in 30 minutes or less.) We spoke with our experts who have years of hands-on experience in home cleaning and maintenance and asked them how often particular cleaning tasks really should be done. Here are their suggestions for what you have to do every day:
- Put away things after you finish using them
- Wash the dishes
- Wipe kitchen countertops
- Clean up oven spills
- Empty kitchen trash
- Wipe showers after use to prevent limescale deposits and mildew growth
- Wipe sinks and basins
- Make the beds
Once or Twice a week
- Although these chores have to be done fairly regularly, you don’t need to do them every single day – once or twice a week is enough to have a clean home.
- Vacuum and mop the hardwood floors to prevent scratches from solid dirt particles
- Tidy up every room
- Vacuum the rugs if you live in a dusty area or have small children or pets that track in lots of hair or soil (otherwise, a weekly vacuuming of carpets should suffice)
Once a Month
The chores you need to do every month add a nice final touch to the regular weekly or fortnightly cleaning and maintain the overall good look of your home.
- Vacuum and wipe blinds and baseboards
- Sweep the patio and garage
- Vacuum sofas, armchairs and other soft furnishings with the brush attachment
- Clean the ceiling fixtures in every room
- Remove cobwebs
- Wash small area rugs
- Dust the ceiling fans
Every 3 Months
The following chores can be done less or more often depending on your lifestyle. However, if you decide to stick to the frequency of cleaning suggested by our experts, you will soon notice that your home maintains its clean and pleasing appearance longer than usual.
- Polish wooden floors and furniture
- Vacuum your mattresses
- Change or wash the furnace and air-conditioner filters
- Deep-clean the oven and stovetop
Every 6 Months
The next few chores should become a part of your spring and autumn cleaning routine and will help you prepare your home for the different seasons.
- Wash drapes and curtains
- Clean the windows inside and out (do this quarterly for the windows near the kitchen sink or in the bathroom, for instance)
- De-clutter and organise storage areas – the garage, basement and attic
- Flip and rotate mattresses (don’t forget to clean them first)
- Polish silverware
- Air out blankets, throw covers and pillows (wash them if necessary)
- Clean light fixtures
Read also: 7 Spring Cleaning Mistakes Everybody Does
Once a Year
Some things can be cleaned just once a year, and yet we sometimes overclean them. Here is the list of things you should clean only once every 12 months.
- Move heavy furnishings and clean behind and underneath them
- Vacuum the pads and backs of area rugs
- Deep cleaning of carpets and furniture
- Turn small carpets and area rugs 180 degrees to ensure even wear and prolong their lifespan
- Wipe the walls (wash if necessary)