You have probably already heard about the magic of steam cleaning, it is not just a myth. This method is really the ultimate way of cleaning and disinfecting a multitude of spaces inside your home. If you are a proud carpet owner who wants to restore and keep their rugs looking fresh for years, steam cleaning is the service that you need. It can prolong the life of your carpet – no more worrying about replacing it every few years because it’s looking old and worn!
Let’s see – how do steam cleaners work?
Steam cleaning will extract from the carpet all the embedded dust, grime, and stains, and most importantly, it will kill all the bacteria and viruses. This technique can also reduce mould, fungi, allergens, and even dust mites. The process is simple – when steam is forced into the fibres, the super small vapour molecules agitate the pores, which causes the molecules to expand quickly and powerfully to eject all the nasty things lying around in there.
Despite knowing the benefits, many people can be held back from trying this method, thinking it might be too expensive. But in reality, how much does steam cleaning cost?
How much does steam cleaning cost?
The cost of professional steam carpet cleaning services can range from £70 to £220. However, the prices depend on a variety of factors. Here are the most important ones:
- The size of the carpet. Some professional carpet cleaning companies charge per square foot or a flat rate by room. The average rate is between £0.20 and £0.40 per square foot. You can ask them to measure and estimate the price upfront in order to make your decision.
- The material of carpets. Carpets can be made from a variety of materials, including polyester, nylon, cotton, wool, olefin, and others. Each material requires different techniques and different cleaning solutions. All of these factors will impact the overall price.
Let’s see some examples:
- Cotton and wool carpets are among the most expensive and also the most difficult to clean. The cost is between £70 and £120.
- Cut and level loops are mid-range carpet fabrics and the price ranges from £50 to £90.
- Berber carpets are the easiest to clean and the cheapest. The cost is somewhere around £40 to £70.
As you can see, the harder the carpet material is to clean, the higher the price will be!
Another price factor is the stairs. If you live in a space with stairs and you happen to place the carpet on them, you will need to pay an additional fee. The average price is £1 to £3 for every step. Sometimes the square footage plays a role in the pricing.
Removing stains and odours. A stain on your carpet can cost you from £40 up to £300, depending on the state of the damage. Odour removal is also a service you can order. It typically involves pretreatment and specialised cleaning fluids.
Moving furniture. Make sure you empty the space because the cleaners might charge you for moving your tables, chairs, and other stuff. Depending on how heavy the furniture is and how much there is to move, prices may vary.
Travel Fee. One of the first things you need to do when choosing carpet cleaning professionals is to check if they offer their services in your area and work nearby. Also, ask if there are any additional fees for travelling to and from your home.
So now that you are aware of the prices, you are probably wondering, how often should you do it? In order to keep your carpets in the best condition possible, we recommend you to call professionals for deep steam cleaning twice a year. However, once per year still works.