No doubt – commercial cleaning detergents are really strong and effective, but they are containing a list of dangerous toxic ingredients, which can lead to serious health issues and even – to poisoning.
Luckily, there are plenty of options if you want to switch to more healthy and eco-friendly options. You can either buy green cleaning products, or create your own cleaning solutions. We’ve asked the home cleaning specialist to share their little green secrets and prepared a list of 6 amazing ways to use lemons, when cleaning the house.
Remove Foul Odours
Freshly squeezed lemon juice does wonders for removing bad smells and leaves fresh, natural fragrance.
- Deal with unpleasant smell in the drains by simply the juice from 1 lemon down the kitchen or bathroom drain.
- Refresh your garbage bin – rinse the bin and sprinkle the bottom of the bin with baking soda. Leave it for 10 minutes, then wash and rub the inside with half a lemon on, before changing the bag.
Dissolve Grease Stains
Lemon juice is acidic and easily dissolves grease.
- Add half cup to the laundry, when washing whites. This will leave fresh scent and also slightly bleach the fabric, removing stains and greasy spots.
- Take half lemon and rub onto dishes, countertops, oven, or cutting board to easily remove grease stains and dirt.
Clean Windows, Mirrors and Other Glass Surfaces
One of the best things about lemon juice is that it doesn’t leave any residues and traces on smooth surfaces.
- 1. Rinse your glassware with a solution made of ½ gallon of water and ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice. This will make the glass sparkly clean.
- If you need to spot clean a stain or fingerprint from your windows or mirrors use a few drops of lemon juice on a clean microfibre cloth. There won’t be a trace and the area will smell great.
Deodorise Your Hands
Garlic, onions and fish are great cooking ingredients, but are not a good perfume. When preparing a meal that includes ingredients with strong flavour remove the smell from your hands by rubbing your fingers and palms with a small piece of lemon peel.
Lemon juice cleans grout from pots, boiling pots, and shower faucets. All you need to do is dissolve ½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 2 glasses of water. Pour into the pot, leave it like this for 10-15 minutes and then boil the liquid. Turn off the heat and scrub the grout away. For shower fixtures you can just rub the grout with half lemon, let it stay like this for 10 minutes and then scrub it.
Clean Porcelain Bathtub and Sink
If your porcelain sink, or bathtub have yellowish stains from the water, take half lemon and some salt. Sprinkle the salt evenly onto the surface and then use the lemon half as a sponge. Scrub the surface and rinse. Lemon will bleach the surface and salt will help remove the dirt faster.
Using these simple lemon recipes will allow you to achieve perfect cleaning results, without using harsh chemicals.
Do you have your own favorite DIY cleaning recipe with lemons?